top of page

Metro Cup Football

Stage 2 Metro Cup Football

by Mr Tasker

After a quick bus trip to Kiama on a sparkling early winter's day, we started well. Our first game was against Southern Highlands CS, and with about 10 minutes left in the game, the opposition was ahead 1-0. We mounted numerous attacks and, with a minute to go, Caleb controlled the ball just outside the goal area and then fired off a pretty good shot.

It looked like their keeper had it covered but an “accidental” handball by another of their defenders deflected the ball into their net and the goal was awarded. 1-1 and with less than a minute to play!

The next game was against Cedars who would end up being the eventual group winners. To our credit, we held them for the last 10 minutes and were close to scoring a couple.

Special mention to Hairy Harry in goals who was very courageous as he threw himself around keeping the marauding Cedars strikers from scoring more. When Chloe accidentally handballed in the penalty area conceding a penalty, Harry was first on the scene to console her. And then he saved the penalty while saving us from a double-figure loss.

Calderwood was next. We lost but not by much. Cordeaux was our final game. Cooper, who was a tower of strength all day, scored a great goal towards the end of the game to give us a boost.

Our best players on the day were Grace, Isabella, Georgia, Chloe, Lachlan, Levi, Caleb, James, Cooper, Cameron, Myles, Harry and Thomas. Of course, that’s all of you, because of your willingness to have a go, regardless of the result, no whinging, looking after each other and respecting the opposition.

Harry won the best and fairest of all the Junior players at the tournament for his excellent goalkeeping and sportsmanship.

Stage 3 Metro Cup Football

by Ethan L and Joseph P (Year 6)

On Monday 3 June, we left for Metro Cup at 7:30am to travel to Kiama. We then went our separate ways - netballers to their courts, and footballers to our fields. It was an awesome sight that we saw when we got onto our fields. Large spectator stands, multiple fields and even a canteen of our own! We put on our boots and shin pads and walked over to one of the fields and did warm-ups lead by Ethan. After that we met our coach, Mr Preston who was filling in for Mr Parker. We did training for a short time and then started. Our first game we played was against Cedars. They were really good, but we managed to hold them off and keep the score to 1- 0, but sadly we were the zero - which made us the losers. The next team also beat us, but at least we scored. It was 7-1, so still no wins yet. The next game we played was a win for us. It was about 5-1 our way. We got our first win of the tournament. Then we had a break for about one hour, then had our last game. We really wanted to win the last game of the day and come back with smiles to school. 3-2 was the score of our last game and we won it! Everyone was happy and excited, as we thought we might have made it through to the state tournament. We wanted to know whether we made it or not, but sadly we didn’t. We did come third out of six teams and that was good enough to keep everyone in a good mood for the drive back to school. Special thanks to Mr Preston for helping coach us on the day and to all the other parents who also assisted or came along and cheered us on.

bottom of page