Last modified 12/01/2011
From time to time students will be absent and miss exams. The staff at NCS believe that the benefits of asking these students to do the exams include:
- exams provide a valuable learning/revision experience for the student;
- exams provide the teacher and the student with valuable feedback that can be used to inform the planning of future learning experiences;
- exams may provide valuable data in helping to grade the student for reporting purposes.
The staff are also aware that feedback on exam performance needs to be given as soon as possible to students after the exam to have maximum effect. They are also aware that students who miss an exam are disadvantaged if they miss other work by being asked to complete the exam in class time.
For this reason, the school has adopted the policy that students who miss an exam may be asked to complete the exam either at school or at home at the earliest opportunity. If the exam is to be sat at home, the following steps are to be followed:
- The parents of the student should be contacted to explain the situation and ask for support. An acceptable day for the at home exam to be sat will be arranged between the teacher and parent;
- The exam will be sent home in a sealed envelope with instructions (see attached) attached to the envelope.
- The exam is to be returned on the next school day in a sealed envelope with the parent's signature, signifying that the exam was sat under exam conditions.
Note: if the parent does not accept the responsibility of supervising the exam, then the teacher can give the exam as an in school exercise or may choose not to give the exam to that student.
Instructions (available on KLA site)
Thank you for helping with this exam. We believe that our students benefit from sitting for exams, even if they were away on the day that the rest of the class sat for it. To ensure that the exam is done under conditions that best mirror those experienced by the rest of the class, please ensure that the instructions below are followed.
- Envelope is to remain sealed until student is ready to start exam.
- A parent is to provide direct (i.e. visual) supervision for the duration of the exam.
- The student is not to have notes of any kind with him/her during the exam.
- Parents may re-read questions if asked. Questions are not to be explained or interpreted by the parent.
- Equipment needed for the exam is: *****
- Time allowed : * hour(s) including/plus reading time
- When the exam is completed, please place it in the envelope and reseal securely.
- Sign this form and ensure immediate return of form and envelope to the subject teacher.
Parent's signature: _______________________ Date: ___________